Sunday, August 16, 2009

Initial Post

Well, this be the initial posting. We are here and doing well. Two weeks down, 50 more to go :). Lib has been working tirelessly to make the house our home, and she has unpacked all the necessary boxes and hung the decorations, made curtains for the kids rooms and helped me decide how to decorate my office (more on that later). She has been managing fights between the kids and depressed dogs, and could probably use a break by now. We feel somewhat confined to the house, since it is over 100 outside a lot of the time and only cools down to the upper 70's at night. It doesn't matter what time we venture outside, we return with streaks of sweat down our bodies and it dripping off our noses. We recently found a dog park that has an enclosed section for dogs under 18 inches tall, complete with trees, a pond and a painted fire-hydrant. The wieners love it and come home exhausted when we visit. It has become a great outing for all.

We got Bree signed up for gymnastics classes and pre-school, to try and zap some of her energy, since she seems to have an endless amount. She is really excited about it, but has some hesitations. She told me earlier tonight that she is nervous about "walking on the beam". I assured her that there will be people to help her. Her pre-school teacher seems to be a nice woman, and is a saint for dealing with little kids for that amount of time.

I started at Texas A&M two weeks ago. I have loved it! My fellow interns are a great bunch, and we seem to mesh well. Two come from Texas (Texas Tech and University of North Texas) and are familiar with the culture and such. The other intern and I (she's from Arizona, but completed her grad work at Auburn) simply follow their lead. The first four weeks of my internship are trainings and meetings, and 40 hours of sitting on my duff listening to folks is exhausting for some reason. I have an office that I can call my own. My name is even written in Braille on the plaque outside my door. I'll get some pics of it on here soon, but we recently furnished it with returned leased merchandise from Aaron's furniture rental. They had some stuff on clearance, and so two trips with the Trailblazer later, I've got a place for me and my clients to sit!

I'm going to try and comment on food experiences at some point in each post. So far, I've had bakery sandwiches, Kolaches (which are a Czech food, like pigs in a blanket), great BBQ (twice), and fantastic Mexican. Oh, and these great pizza rolls from a local pizza joint. Food seems to be a passion of the staff at the Counseling center, so I think I'll fit in just fine.

The short of it all is that we are doing great, and hope that the future includes trips to fun places, festivals and fun with family and friends. We'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know why my previous comment did not appear, but it was an extremely well written compliment to your post, as well as a request for more pictures of the house and surrounding area in future posts. Also, I would love to take a trip to Texas, simply to sample the various delicacies that you discover on your food excursions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even tell you how excited I am that you have a blog. Now I feel in touch with you all as you are in this phase of life. Plus, my kids read all the latest blog posts of their cousins, so I'm glad you have pics of the kids. Mine are in heaven seeing Bree and Trey. Sounds like all is well! Keep posting, can't wait to hear about the yummy food, which might warrant a trip in the winter to experience some of it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. all i know is, i got butterflies when i saw that you guys had a blog. tears of joy, and tears of sheer jealousy regarding the food. thank the high heavens i don't live in a state where food is whats it's known for. i would be the size of a table. i'm so dang glad to hear you guys are doing awesome! we miss the dicks (dickons) out of you guys!! there is for sure an emptiness. maybe because we aren't eating as good of food as you guys. we love ya, and i agree with scott-post some more pics of the home that has become your sanctuary from the blistering heat.

    ReplyDelete